Monday, March 17, 2008

Reef Fishing

REEF HUNTING
By Mark Camilo C. Mamaril


Reef Hunting, also known as “Muro Ami”, is one of the many forms of illegal fishing and child labor. In Muro Ami, The coral reefs are being crushed and pounded so that the fishes will come out of the reefs and into the fishermen’s net. This will not just kill a lot of fish but also render some homeless. For me, this way of fishing is illegal as well as worst. Reef hunters may have caught a lot of fish but they nearly emptied all the fish in that place. This activity greatly disrupts an ecosystem I so; I think reef hunting should really be put to a stop.

Added Info:

Some, of us think that Muro Ami is a term for the illegal fishing activity but it is a term to refer to a person. The term Muro Ami doesn’t refer to reef hunting itself but it is used to pertain to reef hunters. So, from now on we will use the term reef hunting to refer to the illegal way of fishing where coral reefs are being crushed to catch the fish living in it.

Reflections on Reef Hunting:

When I first learned about Muro Ami, I really felt pitiful for the fishes and the corals as well. I have nothing against fishermen but I despise fishermen who use Reef hunting as a method of fishing. I imagined if we were the fishes while the fishes are us; would we like it if our homes were destroyed and we were caught? Also, imagine if we are the coral reefs while the corals are us; would we also like it if we are destroyed for their own greedy purposes? Of course not! So, I like to say to everybody especially the reef hunters that all living things have feelings too even though they aren’t able too express it. So, from now on, I hope all would be more sensitive to the cry of help from Mother Nature.

No comments: